To the history of
Picture taken in
And he spoke unto the children of Israel saying, When your children shall
ask their fathers in time to come, saying, What mean these stones?
Then ye shall let your children know....
Joshua, ch.4 vs. 21, 22 (KJV)
This is the account of the continuation of the gospel of our Lord and
Savior Jesus Christ with the establishment of the Allegre Baptist Church.
The work of the founding Saints of the Word through this holy institution
began in late November in the year after our Lord's birth One thousand
Nine hundred Forty and Eight years.
Our Predecessors in the cause of Christ, our duty, initiated their mission
in the structure formerly known as the Allegre School House. This property
is owned today by our sister in Christ, Janet Dunn.
Under conviction of the Holy Spirit, Our fore-bearers in the gospel
accepted an invitation extended by the members of the Mount Pleasant
Baptist Church of Trigg County, Kentucky, to organize upon the rock known
as Jesus Christ, a sacred body of laborers in the cause of our Lord. This
holy contract was entered into the minutes of this assembly on December
17, in the year after Our Lord's birth One thousand Nine hundred Forty and
In the months to ensue, members of the fledgling assemblage would resolve
the matter of the location of their place of worship.
Whereas, the opportunity arose to construct a building on three sites. The
first option was to raise a structure for this purpose on a portion of
land formerly owned by Hayes Crittenden, Critt Powell. This property is
now owned and consumed by Flynn Enterprises manufacturing company.
A second option was to erect a building on a site then owned by our
Brother in Christ R. D. Mize. This site was located primarily on the
property of our Sister in Christ, Mary Law.
The third option, and ultimately the site on which the members of Allegre
Baptist Church would elect to construct a building for the purpose of
worshipping Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, was set on the most
northern border adjoined to the home front property of our brother in
Christ, Ernest Higgins and his wife and companion in the Lord, our sister
in Christ Imogene Higgins.
The location of the McColpin's Cemetery was an influential factor in the
congregation's decision to choose this site. The remains of many friends
and loved ones of the founding members of this sacred institution were
lain to rest in this cemetery.
This resolution was entered into the minutes of this assembly January 9,
in the year after our Lord's birth One thousand Nine hundred Forty and
The purpose for soliciting materials needed to fashion a building for
worship was appointed to a committee of three faithful servants of Christ.
The Building Committee was composed of three men. These Brother were
Ernest Higgins, Cicil Law, and Clifford West, (all now deceased)
The following excerpt is a brief account of the construction of the church
building now used for worshipping purposed of Allegre Baptist Church
members. This was compiled by Our Sister in Christ, Nancy Winders. This
description is based on an interview with Sister Imogene Higgins and
confirmed by Sisters Mary Law, Margie Harrison Farmer and Selma Edwards.
After the organization of the church and the selection of the building
committee members visited a church near Springfield, Tenn. to copy the
pattern similar for our church building. They recommended the size of the
auditorium to be thirty feet by fifty feet in dimension. Mr. and Mrs. Earl
Shanklin donated the first five hundred dollars, in cash. Justice and
Mabel Shanklin donated the second five hundred dollars.
The volunteers were put into special chores. Mr. and Mrs. Arvell Harrison
and Mr. and Mrs. Haddix Harris donated the logs. Melvin Rager hauled them
to the saw mill to be finished into rough lumber to begin the construction
of the building. With out regard to financial hardship and church
membership association, people helped build our church building. Many of
these individuals were not church members, but some joined later.
The men did all the work in building the church. It was like we had
somebody for every job that had to be done. Little boys and men carried
shingles up tall ladders in the back of the church. Mrs. Imogene Higgins
recalls hearing the hammers from here down home as late as one in the
morning. The Lord was helping us.
Brother Mize and Mr. Henry Cannon were good carpenters. All the others
helped. Mrs. Mize and Mrs. Higgins took a truck to Lewisburg to pick up
windows and doors for the auditorium. The job began in March of 1949. The
first services were held in the building in May of that same year.
The dedication service for the new building was December 18, 1949. It was
at this time we observed our first anniversary dinner. We did this is the
aisles of the church. The second and third anniversary were served in the
upper Sunday School classrooms.
In January, 1950, the motion was made to proceed with making additions to
the church building for the purpose of providing Sunday School:
Cecil Law was a good bulldozer operator and he dug the basement with the
dozer the county loaned the church. All of us had families for whom to
make a living. Bro. Mize was not paid very much to pastor. He held a
regular job outside of pastoring the church at all times. We paid tithes
and did all we could. The Lord blessed so much. We will always know it was
his will for this church to be organized.
In March, 1950, the church purchased an upright piano for eighty dollars.
This instrument now sits in the church's fellowship hall.
In June, 1950, the church deemed it necessary to exercise disciplinary
actions rarely employed by churches. The man was guilty of deserting his
family and was promptly expelled from membership of Allegre Baptist
In October, 1950, the first three deacons were ordained by Allegre Baptist
Church. These Brothers in Christ were Odell Harrison, Earnest Higgins and
Cecil Law. Upon Bro. law's demise in January, '53' Bro. Justice Shanklin
was ordained as a deacon. In October, 1955, Brother Essie Cardwell joined
Allegre Baptist Church by letter of a consenting Baptist church of Butler
County, Kentucky. Having been ordained a deacon of his previous church,
Allegre Baptist Church accepted him as the fourth living, active deacon.
Essie Cardwell remains a member of Allegre Baptist Church. He is the only
deacon recognized by the membership at this time.
In October, 1951, the church accepted its first missionary in the gospel
of Jesus Christ. He was Brother De Rossett, a missionary to the continent
of Africa. The church granted him a monthly allowance of ten dollars.
The church's missionary program has been blessed; we now spiritually and
financially support seven missionaries throughout the world. The following
is a list of the missionaries this church supports and the area in which
Bro Bill Williams------------------------Mexico
Bro. Andrew Perschbacher------------Chippewa Indians in Michigan
Bro. Dennis Thomas---------------------Costa Rica
Bro. Robert Creech---------------------Panama
Bro. Dan Chase-------------------------Brazil
Bro. Andrade Hilderbrando-------------Brazil
Allegre Baptist Church also prepares a weekly radio mission effort that
attempts to extend the Gospel of Christ to the local community.
The continuation of the Gospel of Our Lord Jesus Christ at Allegre Baptist
Church has been blessed to have serve the holy cause, men of great faith.
Following is a list of men called of God to serve His cause as Pastors of
the Allegre Missionary Baptist Church.
Bro. R.D. Mize------------------------- 1948--1951
Bro. R D and Mary Ellen Mize
Bro. Roy Marcus----------------------- 1951--1953
Bro. Roy and Lois Marques
Bro. Earl Craig-------------------------- 1953--1955
Bro. C. B. Troutman-------------------- 1955--1966
Bro. C B and Sydney Troutman
Bro. L. G. Richardson------------------ 1966--1970
Bro. Douglas Armstrong -------------- 1971--1973
Bro. Douglas, Shella, and Gail Armstrong
Bro. C.B. Troutman ------------------- 1973--1985
Bro. C B and Sydney Troutman
Bro. Donald Hunter -------------------- 1985--1989
Bro. Don and Judy Hunter
Bro. James Tacker ---------------------1989--1994
Bro. James and Barbara Tacker
Bro. J.R. Craig ------------------------- 1995--2005
Bro. J R and Polly Craig
Bro. Eddie Mitchell ---------------------2005-- present
Bro. Eddie and Delois Mitchell
Under conviction of the Holy Spirit, the following individuals established
Allegre Baptist Church. It is because of their honorable deeds of personal
sacrifice, spiritual, social, financial, and otherwise, that today we may
faithfully worship God in this place, and fellowship with individuals
washed in His Holy Blood whom we proudly call Brothers and Sisters in
Our sincerest gratitude to these first members of the
Allegre Missionary Baptist Church.
Earl Craig; Imogene Higgins; Ailene Shanklin;
Mary Ruth Craig; Mazine Jones; Earl Shanklin;
J C Fleming; Elwood Kirkman; Justice Shanklin;
Arvill Harrison; Mary Ellen Mize; Mabel Shanklin;
Estylene Harrison; R D Mize; Robert Shanklin;
Letha Harrison; C Z Reid; Clifford West;
Margie Harrison; Gay Reid; Charles West;
Odell Harrison; Alice Russell; Vernie West;
Ernest Higgins; Chester Russell...
May God Bless You is my Prayer!
Midi Title is = The Church in the Wildwood
Copyright © 2007 Jim Keeling Ministries
All Rights Reserved
September 22, 2009